Doherty’s Garage, Lincoln’s oldest business, was founded in 1905 by Matthew Doherty as a horse and buggy taxi service. Today the business provides daily transportation for the Lincoln Public Schools, Belmont Day School, Minuteman High School, and Solomon Schechter Day School, as well as doing charter trips for numerous schools and organizations throughout New England. While our fleet no longer features horse-drawn carriages, it does include fifteen school buses, two rubbish packers, a recycling truck, and various other small vehicles.
The business incorporated in 1958 and moved from its original location at 10 Lewis Street to its current location at 161 Lincoln Rd in 1967. The original building has had several facelifts over the years. In 1978 an upstairs office was added to make room for a small restaurant downstairs. An additional bay was added for bus maintenance in 1981. The office was expanded in 1987 and again in 2001. In September 2012, the back stairway was enclosed, and in 2017 the office underwent construction again to incorporate a new customer waiting room as well as additional office space.
In addition to these renovations, October 1978 also saw the opening of the Country Squire, which was operated by the Pappas Family until 1991. The restaurant changed hands two other times between 1992 and 1996 when Harry Kyros moved in and changed the Country Squire to Country Pizza. Country Pizza opened to rave reviews in April 1997 and has been Lincoln’s favorite sub and pizza shop for over 2 decades.